• It’s Tax Season!

    30 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    Tax Time

    If you’re like most taxpayers, you find yourself with an ominous stack of things to do around tax time. Pulling together the records for your tax appointment is never easy, but the effort usually pays off in the extra tax you save! When you arrive at your appointment fully prepared, you’ll have more time to:

    • Consider every possible legal deduction;
    • Evaluate which income reporting and deductions are best suited to your situation;
    • Explore current law changes that affect your tax status;
    • Talk about tax-planning alternatives that could reduce your future tax liability.

    Choosing Your Best Alternatives – The tax law allows a variety of methods of handling income and deductions on your return. Choices you make as you prepare your return often affect not only the current year, but future returns as well. Topics these choices relate to include:

    • Sales of propertyIf you’re receiving payments on a sales contract over a period of years, you can sometimes choose between reporting the whole gain in the year you sell or over a period of time as you receive payments from the buyer.
    • DepreciationYou’re able to deduct the cost of your investment in certain business properties. You can either depreciate the costs over a number of years; or, in certain cases, deduct them all in one year.

    Where to Begin? Preparation for your tax appointment should begin in January. Right after the New Year, set up a safe storage location, such as a file drawer, cupboard, or safe. As you receive pertinent records, file them right away, before you forget or lose them. Make this a habit, and you’ll find your job a lot easier on your appointment date. Other general suggestions to prepare for your appointment include:

    • Segregate your records according to income and expense categories. File medical expense receipts in one envelope or folder, mortgage interest payment records in another, charitable donations in a third, etc. If you receive an organizer or questionnaire to complete before your appointment, fill out every section that applies to you. (Important: Read all explanations and follow instructions carefully. By design, organizers remind you of transactions you may otherwise miss.)
    • Call attention to any foreign bank account, foreign financial account, or foreign trust in which you have an ownership interest, signature authority, or controlling stake. We also need to know about foreign inheritances and ownership of foreign assets. In short, bring any foreign financial dealings to our attention so we know if you have any special reporting requirements. The penalties for not making and submitting required reports can be severe.
    • New this year is the Affordable Care Act reporting requirements. If you acquired your health insurance through a government Marketplace you will receive a new form, 1095-A, issued by the Marketplace that will include information needed to complete your return. In addition, all taxpayers will need to provide proof of insurance to avoid a penalty or qualify for one of the many exemptions from the penalty.       If you received a hardship penalty exemption from the Marketplace you will have been issued an exemption certificate number (ECN). That number must be included on your tax return. The 1095-A and ECN documentation need to be included with the other material you bring to your appointment. If your insurance coverage was through an employer, and the employer issued Form 1095-B, 1095-C or a substitute form detailing your coverage, bring it to the appointment.
    • Keep your annual income statements separate from your other documents (e.g., W-2s from employers, 1099s from banks, stockbrokers, etc., and K-1s from partnerships). Be sure to take these documents to your appointment, including the instructions for K-1s!
    • Write down questions so you don’t forget to ask them at the appointment. Review last year’s return. Compare your income on that return to your income in the current year. A dividend from ABC stock on your prior-year return may remind you that you sold ABC this year and need to report the sale, or that you haven’t yet received the current year’s 1099-DIV form.
    • Make sure you have social security numbers for all your dependents. The IRS checks these carefully and can deny deductions and credits for returns filed without them.
    • Compare deductions from last year with your records for this year. Did you forget anything?
    • Collect any other documents and financial papers that you’re puzzled about. Prepare to bring these to your appointment so you can ask about them.

    Accuracy Even for Details – To ensure the greatest accuracy possible in all detail on your return, make sure you review personal data. Check name(s), address(es), social security number(s) and occupation(s) on last year’s return. Note any changes for this year. Although your telephone numbers and e-mail address aren’t required on your return, they are always helpful should questions occur during return preparation.

    Marital Status Change – If your marital status changed during the year, if you lived apart from your spouse or if your spouse died during the year, list dates and details. Bring copies of prenuptial, legal separation, divorce or property settlement agreements, if any, to your appointment. If your spouse passed away during the year, you should have a copy of his or her trust agreement or will available for review.

    Dependents – If you have qualifying dependents, you will need to provide the following for each (if you previously provided us with items 1 through 3 you will not need to supply them again):

    1. First and last name
    2. Social security number
    3. Birth date
    4. Number of months living in your home
    5. Their income amount (both taxable and nontaxable). If your dependent is your child over age 18, note how long the child was a full-time student during the year.

    For anyone other than your child to qualify as your dependent, they must pass five strict dependency tests. If you think one or more other individuals qualify as your dependents (but you aren’t sure), tally the amounts you provided toward their support vs. the amounts they provided. This will simplify a final decision.

    Some Transactions Deserve Special Treatment – Certain transactions require special treatment on your tax return. It’s a good idea to invest a little extra preparation effort when you have had the following transactions:

    • Sales of Stock or Other Property: All sales of stocks, bonds, securities, real estate and any other property need to be reported on your return, even if you had no profit or loss. List each sale, and have purchase and sale documents available for each transaction.

    Purchase date, sale date, cost and selling price must all be noted on your return. Make sure this information is contained on the documents you bring to your appointment.

    • Gifted or Inherited Property: If you sell property that was given to you, you need to determine when and for how much the original owner purchased it. If you sell property you inherited, you need to know the original owner’s death-date and the property’s value at that time. You may be able to find this on estate tax returns or in probate documents; otherwise, ask the executor.
    • Reinvested Dividends: You may have sold stock or a mutual fund in which you participated in a dividend reinvestment program. If so, you will need to have records of each stock purchase made with the reinvested dividends.
    • Sale of Home: The tax law provides special breaks for home sale gains, and you may be able to exclude up to $500,000 of the gain from your primary home if you file a married joint return and meet certain ownership, occupancy, and holding period requirements. The maximum exclusion is $250,000 for others. Since the cost of improvements made on your home can also be used to reduce any gain, it is good practice to keep a record of them. The exclusion of gain applies only to a primary residence; so keeping a record of improvement to other property, such as your second home, is important. Be sure to bring a copy of the sale documents (usually the closing escrow statement).
    • Purchase of a Home: Be sure to bring a copy of the final closing escrow statement if you purchased a home.
    • Vehicle Purchase: If you purchased a new plug-in electric car (or cars) this year, you may qualify for a special credit. Please bring the purchase statement to the appointment with you.
    • Home Energy-Related Expenditures: If you installed solar, geothermal or wind-power-generating systems, please bring the details of those purchases and manufacturer’s credit qualification certification to your appointment. You may qualify for a substantial energy-related tax credit.
    • Identity Theft: Identity theft is becoming more prevalent and can impact your tax filings. If you have reason to believe that your identity has been stolen, please contact this firm as soon as possible. The IRS provides special procedures for filing if you have had your identity stolen.
    • Car Expenses: Where you have used one or more automobiles for business, list the expenses of each separately. The government requires your total mileage, business miles, and commuting miles for each business use of your car to be reported on your return, so be prepared to have those numbers available. If you were reimbursed for mileage through an employer, know the reimbursement amount and whether it is included in your W-2.
    • Charitable Donations: You must substantiate cash contributions (regardless of amount) with a bank record or written communication from the charity showing the name of the charitable organization, date and amount.

    Unreceipted cash donations put into a “Christmas kettle,” church collection plate, etc., are not deductible. For clothing and household contributions, items donated must generally be in good or better condition, and items such as undergarments and socks are not deductible. You must keep a record of each item contributed that indicates the name and address of the charity, date and location of the contribution, and a reasonable description of the property. Contributions valued under $250 and dropped at an unattended location do not require a receipt. For contributions above $500, the record must also include when and how the property was acquired and your cost basis in the property. For contributions above $5,000 and other types of contributions, please call this office for additional requirements.

    If you have questions about assembling your tax data prior to your appointment, please get in touch with Dagley & Co.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • What to Do if You Receive Letter From the IRS

    28 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    IRS letter panic

    Getting a letter from the IRS you weren’t expecting can be scary, but there is no need to panic – though you definitely should not ignore it. When the IRS thinks it has found an issue with your tax return, it will contact you via mail with a CP series notice (most commonly CP2000). Note that the IRS will never call or e-mail you initially about a tax delinquency. This is a trick used by scammers that has become quite prevalent.

    Most commonly, these notices will include a proposed tax due and any interest or penalties. The notice will include an explanation of the examination process and how you can respond.

    These automated notices are sent out year-round and are quite common. As the IRS tries to close the tax gap, it has become more aggressive in its collection efforts. In addition, with some taxpayers using low-quality tax mills or do-it-yourself software, there has been an increase in the number of notices sent over the years because of preparer error. A missed check box here, a misunderstanding of a credit there, overlooked income—it all adds up. One of the largest tax software providers for self-preparers even needed to hire a huge new workforce to help its users deal with the increase in notices caused by novice taxpayers trying to do their own tax returns.

    This automated process starts when the IRS matches what you reported on your tax return to data reported by third parties. When this information does not agree, the automated collection effort begins.

    But don’t panic – These notices often include errors. But you do need to realize that not responding by the 30-day deadline can have significant repercussions. The first thing to determine is which type of notice you have received. A CP2000 notice is quite different than many of the other CP notices that deal with identify theft, audit correspondence, earned income credit and much more. Also realize that a CP2000 notice includes a proposed, and almost always unfavorable, change to your tax return, and it is giving you an opportunity to dispute the proposed change. Procrastinating or ignoring the notice will only cause the IRS to ratchet up its collection efforts and make it increasingly difficult to dispute the proposed adjustment.

    Sometimes the IRS will be correct. You may have overlooked a capital gain, income from a second job, etc. Quite frequently, the IRS is incorrect simply because its software isn’t sophisticated enough to pick up all the information on your attached schedules.

    If you are unsure of what to do, get in touch with Dagley & Co. as quickly as possible so we can review the notice to determine whether it is correct and quickly respond to it.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Yes, Working Abroad Can Yield Tax-Free Income

    24 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    working abroad

    Dagley & Co. has clients all over the globe, and we know how to work with entrepreneurs and business owners who like to travel. With that said, U.S. citizens and resident aliens are taxed on their worldwide income, whether the person lives inside or outside of the U.S. However, qualifying U.S. citizens and resident aliens who live and work abroad may be able to exclude from their income all or part of their foreign salary or wages, or amounts received as compensation for their personal services. In addition, they may also qualify to exclude or deduct certain foreign housing costs.

    To qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, a U.S. citizen or resident alien must:

    • Have foreign earned income (income received for working in a foreign country);
    • Have a tax home in a foreign country; and
    • Meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test.

    The foreign earned income exclusion amount is adjusted annually for inflation. For 2015, the maximum foreign earned income exclusion is up to $100,800 per qualifying person. If taxpayers are married and both spouses (1) work abroad and (2) meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, each one can choose the foreign earned income exclusion. Together, they can exclude as much as $201,600 for the 2015 tax year, but if one spouse uses less than 100% of his or her exclusion, the unused amount cannot be transferred to the other spouse.

    In addition to the foreign earned income exclusion, qualifying individuals may also choose to exclude or deduct from their foreign earned income a foreign housing amount. The amount of qualified housing expenses eligible for the housing exclusion and housing deduction is limited, generally, to 30% of the maximum foreign earned income exclusion. For 2015, the housing amount limitation is $30,240 for the tax year. However, the limit will vary depending on where the qualifying individual’s foreign tax home is located and the number of qualifying days in the tax year. The foreign earned income exclusion is limited to the actual foreign earned income minus the foreign housing exclusion. Therefore, to exclude a foreign housing amount, the qualifying individual must first figure the foreign housing exclusion before determining the amount for the foreign earned income exclusion.

    Before you become overly excited, foreign earned income does not include the following amounts:

    • Pay received as a military or civilian employee of the U.S. Government or any of its agencies.
    • Pay for services conducted in international waters (not a foreign country).
    • Pay in specific combat zones, as designated by a Presidential Executive Order, that is excludable from income.
    • Payments received after the end of the tax year following the year in which the services that earned the income were performed.
    • The value of meals and lodging that are excluded from income because it was furnished for the convenience of the employer.
    • Pension or annuity payments, including social security benefits.

    A qualifying individual may also claim the foreign earned income exclusion on foreign earned self-employment income. The excluded amount will reduce his regular income tax, but will not reduce his self-employment tax. Also, the foreign housing deduction—instead of a foreign housing exclusion—may be claimed.

    A qualifying individual claiming the foreign earned income exclusion, the housing exclusion, or both, must figure the tax on the remaining non-excluded income using the tax rates that would have applied had the individual not claimed the exclusions. In other words, the exclusion is off-the-bottom, not off-the-top.

    Once the foreign earned income exclusion is chosen, a foreign tax credit, or deduction for taxes, cannot be claimed on the income that can be excluded. If a foreign tax credit or tax deduction is claimed for any of the foreign taxes on the excluded income, the foreign earned income exclusion may be considered revoked.

    Other issues:

    Earned income credit – Once the foreign earned income exclusion is claimed, the earned income credit cannot be claimed for that year.

    Timing of election – Generally, a qualifying individual’s initial choice of the foreign earned income exclusion must be made with one of the following income tax returns:

    • A return filed by the due date (including any extensions);
    • A return amending a timely-filed return;
    • Amended returns generally must be filed by the later of 3 years after the filing date of the original return or 2 years after the tax is paid; or
    • A return filed within 1 year from the original due date of the return (determined without regard to any extensions).

    A qualifying individual can revoke an election to claim the foreign earned income exclusion for any year. This is done by attaching a statement to the tax return revoking one or more previously made choices. The statement must specify which choice(s) are being revoked, as the election to exclude foreign earned income and the election to exclude foreign housing amounts must be revoked separately. If an election is revoked, and within 5 years the qualifying individual wishes to again choose the same exclusion, he must apply for approval by requesting a ruling from the IRS.

    Are you looking for foreign employment or has an opportunity already presented itself to you? Before you make your final decision, please get in touch with us at Dagley & Co. to learn more about the foreign earned income and housing allowance exclusions, or how to meet the bona fide residence or physical presence tests.

    Continue Reading
  • One-per-12-Month IRA Rollover Limitation Begins 2015

    20 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    piggy bank

    The IRS allows an individual to take a distribution from his or her IRA account and avoid the tax and early distribution penalties if the distribution is redeposited to an IRA account owned by the taxpayer within 60 days of receiving the distribution.

    Early in 2014, in a tax court case, the court ruled that taxpayers could only have one IRA rollover per 12-month period. This was contrary to the IRS’s long-standing one rollover per every IRA account every 12 months. This far more liberal position was also included in published IRS guidance. However, contrary to general public opinion, guidance provided by the IRS in their publications is not citable, carries no weight in audit or court, and only represents the IRS’ interpretation of tax law.

    As a result, the IRS has adopted the Court’s more restrictive position, but will not apply the new interpretation until 2015, giving taxpayers time to become aware of the new restrictions. The IRS is modifying its published 2015 guidance to reflect this new position.

    The IRS announced in November that the one-per-12-month-period rollover rule also applies to Simplified Employer Pension Plans (SEPs) and SIMPLE plans. Included in the November announcement, the IRS indicated it would not count a distribution taken in 2014 and rolled over in 2015 (within the 60-day limit) as a 2015 rollover.

    Not counted towards the one-per-12-month rule are traditional to Roth IRA conversions or trustee-to-trustee IRA transfers where the funds are directly transferred from one IRA trustee to another.

    Please get in touch with Dagley & Co. if you are planning an IRA distribution and subsequent rollover and are not positive it falls within the one-per-12-month limit.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Tax Breaks: How To Take Advantage of Education Tax Benefits

    16 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    Education is an investment in the self, and it comes with a few tax breaks. The tax code includes a number of incentives that, with proper planning, can provide tax benefits. Which of these options will provide the greatest tax benefit depends on each individual’s particular circumstances. The following is an overview of the various possibilities that should be taken advantage of should you qualify:

    Student Loans – How to pay for college is a major planning issue for most seeking advanced education. Those with substantial savings simply pay the expenses as they go while others begin setting aside money far in advance of the education need, perhaps utilizing a Coverdell account or Sec. 529 plan. Others will need to borrow the funds, obtain financial aid, or be lucky enough to qualify for a scholarship. Although student loans provide one ready source of financing, the interest rates are generally higher than a home equity debt loan, which can also provide a longer repayment term and lower payments.

    When choosing between a home equity loan or student loan, keep in mind the following limitations: (1) Interest on home equity debt is deductible only if you itemize, and then only on the first $100,000 of debt, and not at all to the extent that you are taxed by the alternative minimum tax; and (2) student loans must be single-purpose loans—the interest deduction is available even if you do not itemize but is limited to $2,500 per year, and the deduction phases out for joint filers with income (AGI) between $130,000 and $160,000 ($65,000 to $80,000 for unmarried taxpayers).

    Gifting Low Basis Assets – Another frequently used tax strategy to finance education is to gift appreciated assets (typically stock) to a child and then allow the child to sell the stock to pay for the education. This results in transferring any gain on the stock to the child at a time when the child has little or no other income; tax on the gain is avoided or is at the child’s low rate. With the lowest of the long-term capital gains rates currently being zero, Congress curtailed income shifting to children by making most full-time students under the age of 24 subject to the “kiddie tax.” This effectively taxes their unearned income at their parents’ tax rates and makes the gifting of appreciated assets to a child less appealing as a way to finance college expenses.

    Education Credits – The tax code provides tax credits for post-secondary education tuition paid during the year for the taxpayer and dependents. Currently, there are two types of credits: the American Opportunity Credit, which is limited to any four tax years for the first four years of post-secondary education and provides up to $2,500 of credit for each student (some of which may be refundable), and the Lifetime Learning Credit, which provides up to $2,000 of credit for each family each year. The American Opportunity Credit is phased out for joint filers with incomes between $160,000 and $180,000 ($80,000 to $90,000 for single filers). The 2015 phaseout ranges for the Lifetime Learning Credit are $110,000–$130,000 for married joint and $55,000–$65,000 for others. Neither credit is allowed for married individuals who file separately. Careful planning for the timing of tuition payments can provide substantial tax benefits.

    Education Savings Programs – For those who wish to establish a formalized long-term savings program to educate their children, the tax code provides two plans. The first is a Coverdell Education Savings Account, which allows the taxpayer to make $2,000 annual nondeductible contributions to the plan. The second plan is the Qualified Tuition Plan, more frequently referred to as a Sec. 529 plan, with annual nondeductible contributions generally limited to the gift tax exemption for the year ($14,000 in 2015). Both plans provide tax-free earnings if used for qualified education expenses. When choosing between a Coverdell or Sec. 529 plan, keep the following in mind: (1) Coverdell accounts can be used for kindergarten through post-secondary education and become the property of the child at age of majority, and contributions are phased out for joint filers between $190,000 and $220,000 ($95,000 and $110,000 for others) of income (AGI); and (2) Sec. 529 plans are only for post-secondary education, but the contributor retains control of the funds and there is no phase out of the contribution based on income.

    Educational Savings Bond Interest—There is also an exclusion of savings bond interest for Series EE or I Bonds that were issued after 1989 and purchased by an individual over the age of 24. All or part of the interest on these bonds is exempt from tax if qualified higher education expenses are paid in the same year that the bonds are redeemed. As with other benefits, this one also has a phase-out limitation for joint filers with income between $115,750 and $145,750 ($77,200 and $92,200 for unmarried taxpayers, but those using the married filing separately status do not qualify for the exclusion). The exclusion is computed on IRS Form 8815, Exclusion of Interest from Series EE and I U.S. Savings Bonds Issued After 1989.

    If you would like to learn more about these benefits, or to work out a comprehensive plan to take advantage of them, please get in touch with us at Dagley & Co. for assistance.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Don’t Forget About Those Nominee 1099s!

    12 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    Park table

    First things first: What is a nominee 1099? For tax purposes, if you receive, in your name, income that actually belongs to someone else, you are also a nominee. Being a nominee means you must file with the IRS a 1099 form appropriate to the type of income you received that reports the other individual’s share of the income and give a copy of the 1099 to the actual owner of the income. With that said– if the other person is your spouse, no 1099 filing is required.

    The most commonly encountered nominee situations include when you have a joint bank account or brokerage account with someone other than your spouse and all the income from those accounts is reported under your Social Security number (SSN). You will need to issue the IRS and your joint account owner a 1099 reporting the co-owner’s share of the income under his or her SSN. Then, when you file your return, you show all of the income but back out the co-owner’s share as “nominee amount.” Thus only your portion of the income is included in your taxable income.

    The type of 1099 depends upon the type of income: 1099-INT for interest, 1099-DIV for dividends and 1099-B for the proceeds from selling stocks and bonds.

    Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV that you issue as a nominee are supposed to be given to the recipients by January 31, while the deadline for giving Forms 1099-B to the other owner(s) is February 15. In order to avoid a penalty, copies of the 1099s need to be sent to the IRS by February 28. (When these due dates are a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, as they are in 2015, the forms become due on the next business day.) The 1099s must be submitted on magnetic media or on optically scannable forms (OCR forms). This firm prepares 1099s in OCR format for submission to the IRS along with the required 1096 transmittal form. This service provides recipient and file copies for your records.

    If you have questions about filing 1099s, please get in touch with us at Dagley & Co. for help.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Tax Deductions: 2015 Standard Mileage Rates Announced

    9 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    If your business or job has you raking up miles on your vehicle, you should know that these miles are tax deductible and that the rates tend to change from year-to-year. The Internal Revenue Service recently issued the 2015 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.

    Beginning on January 1, 2015, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) is:

    • 57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven (includes a 24 cent per mile allocation for depreciation);
    • 23 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes; and
    • 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations.

    CAUTION: With the recent substantial drop in gas prices there is a very good chance the IRS will adjust the standard mileage rates mid-year to reflect the lower gas prices as they have done in prior years when gas prices spiked during the year.

    The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile. The rate for medical and moving purposes is based on the variable costs as determined by the same study. The rate for using an automobile while performing services for a charitable organization is statutorily set and has been 14 cents for over 15 years.

    A taxpayer may not use the business standard mileage rate for a vehicle after using any depreciation method under the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) or after claiming a Section 179 deduction for that vehicle. In addition, the business standard mileage rate cannot be used for any vehicle used for hire or for more than four vehicles used simultaneously.

    Taxpayers always have the option of calculating the actual costs of using their vehicle rather than using the standard mileage rates.

    If you have questions related to best methods of deducting the business use of your vehicle or the documentation required, please get in touch with Dagley & Co. for assistance.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • January 2015 Tax Deadlines

    5 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    January 2015

    While you’re scrambling to get your tax strategy together, it’s important to not lose track of the deadlines of January.  Below are a few deadlines to hit – and if you feel overwhelmed, Dagley & Co. is happy to help.

    January 2 – Time to Call For Your Tax Appointment

    January is the beginning of tax season. If you have not made an appointment to have your taxes prepared, we encourage you do so before the calendar becomes too crowded. We at Dagley & Co. typically anticipate a busy spring tax season, so please get in touch with us soon so we can provide you with our full attention.

    January 12 – Report Tips to Employer

    If you are an employee who works for tips and received more than $20 in tips during December, you are required to report them to your employer on IRS Form 4070 no later than January 12.

    January 15 – Individual Estimated Tax Payment Due

    It’s time to make your fourth quarter estimated tax installment payment for the 2014 tax year.

    January 15 – Farmers & Fishermen Estimated Tax Payment Due

    If you are a farmer or fisherman whose gross income for 2013 or 2014 is two-thirds from farming or fishing, it is time to pay your estimated tax for 2014 using Form 1040-ES. You have until April 15, 2015 to file your 2014 income tax return (Form 1040). If you do not pay your estimated tax by January 15, you must file your 2014 return and pay any tax due by March 2, 2015 to avoid an estimated tax penalty.

    January 15 – Employer’s Monthly Deposit Due

    If you are an employer and the monthly deposit rules apply, January 15 is the due date for you to make your deposit of Social Security, Medicare and withheld income tax for December 2014. This is also the due date for the nonpayroll withholding deposit for December 2014 if the monthly deposit rule applies. Employment tax deposits must be made electronically (no more paper coupons), except employers with a deposit liability under $2,500 for a return period may remit payments quarterly or annually with the return.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Talk to Dagley & Co. When Revising Your W-4

    2 January 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    W-4 tax form

    This time of year, many employers will request updated W-4 forms from their employees (and the equivalent state form for those who live in a state with income tax). The W-4 form allows you to specify your filing status and the number of dependent exemptions to be used for determining the amount of income tax to be withheld from your payroll. This form is commonly used by part- and full-time employees (the W-9 form is used for independent contractors). Although the IRS provides an online W-4 calculator, it is generally suitable only for more simple returns, and may not be appropriate in all cases, since it does not take into account all income adjustments, credits, and deductions available. Be careful when completing the W-4 form, because errors can create some significant financial problems.

    Let’s say that you are married and have two dependents. On your tax return, you claim four exemptions. The natural thing for you to do would be to claim “married” and four exemptions on the W-4. However, for W-4 purposes, the exemption for the taxpayer and spouse are automatically built into the married rates, and only two exemptions need to be claimed. The result, of course, is that the taxpayer ends up claiming more exemptions than he or she actually is entitled to, which can result in under-withholding, if the standard deduction is used.

    It is common practice and acceptable for taxpayers to claim additional exemptions when they would otherwise have excessive withholding. Over-withholding may occur because the withholding tables do not account for large itemized deductions or other situations that might reduce the worker’s taxable income.

    It’s also quite common for taxpayers to increase their exemptions to provide more take-home pay from their payroll checks. In doing so, they are essentially borrowing tax money from the government, which they will have to repay – along with possible penalties and interest – when they file their return the following year. That might seem like a good idea now, but it could lead to an unexpected tax liability at tax time. This is where a professional tax projection can more accurately establish appropriate withholding amounts.

    Determining the appropriate number of exemptions to claim on the W-4 can be tricky if you have other substantial income on which no tax is withheld or when both spouses of a married couple are employed. The guidance of a tax professional may be beneficial in these and other cases, to help determine the W-4 withholding allowances and to analyze how the withholding amount may affect the need for estimated tax installment payments.

    If you feel you need assistance in determining your withholding amount and completing the W-4 to produce the correct withholding, please get in touch with us at Dagley & Co. for assistance.

    Image by Dagley & Co.

    Continue Reading