• How Long Are You at Risk for an Audit?

    28 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    An occasional question from our clients is: How long does the IRS have to question and assess additional tax on my tax returns? For most taxpayers who reported all their income, the IRS has three years from the date of filing the returns to examine them. This period is termed the statute of limitations. However, as in all things taxes, it is not that clean cut. Here are some complications:

    You file before the April due date – If you file before the April due date, the three-year statute of limitations still begins on the April due date. So filing early does not start an earlier running of the statute of limitations. For example, whether you filed your 2014 return on February 15, 2015 or April 15, 2015, the statute did not start running until April 15, 2015.

    You file after the April due date – The assessment period for a late-filed return starts on the day after the actual filing, whether the lateness is due to a taxpayer’s delinquency, or under a filing extension granted by IRS. For example, say your 2014 return is on extension until October 15, 2015, and you actually file on September 1, 2015. The statute of limitations for further assessments by the IRS will end on September 2, 2018. So the earlier you file those extension returns, the sooner you start the running of the statute of limitations.

    If you want to be cautious you may wish to retain verification of when the return was filed. For electronically filed returns, you can retain the confirmation from the IRS accepting the electronically filed return. If you file a paper return, proof of mailing can be obtained from the post office at the time you mail the return.

    You file an amended tax return – If after filing an original tax return you subsequently discover you made an error, an amended return is used to make the correction to the original. The filing of the amended tax return does not extend the statute of limitation unless the amended return is filed within 60 days before the limitations period expires. If that occurs, the IRS generally has 60 days from the receipt of the return to assess additional tax.

    You understated your income by more that 25% – When a taxpayer underreports his or her gross income by more than 25%, the three-year statute of limitations is increased to six years.

    In determining if more than 25% has been omitted, capital gains and losses aren’t netted; only gains are taken into account. These “omissions” don’t include amounts for which adequate information is given on the return or attached statements. For this purpose, gross income, as it relates to a trade or business, means the total of the amounts received or accrued from the sale of goods or services, without reduction for the cost of those goods or services.

    10-year collection period – Once an assessment of tax has been made within the statutory period, the IRS may collect the tax by levy or court proceeding started within 10 years after the assessment or within any period for collection agreed upon by the taxpayer and the IRS before the expiration of the 10-year period.

    You file three years late – Suppose you procrastinate and you file your return three years or more after the April due date for that return. If you owe money, you will have to pay what you owe plus interest and late filing and late payment penalties. If you have a refund due, you will forfeit that refund and perhaps get stuck with a $135 minimum late filing penalty. No refunds are issued three years after the filing due date.

    You should not discard your tax records until after the statute has run its course. When disposing of old tax records, be careful not to discard records that prove the cost of items that have not been sold. For example, you may have placed home improvement records in with your annual receipts for the year the improvement was made. You don’t want to discard those records until the statute runs out for the year you sold the home. The same applies to purchase records for stocks, bonds, reinvested dividends, business assets, or anything you will sell in the future and need to prove the cost.

    If you are behind on filing your returns and would like to get caught up, please get in touch with Dagley & Co. You can find our information at the bottom of this page. If you discovered you omitted something from your original return and would like to file an amended return, we can help with that as well.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Low Income? Do Not Miss Out On The Earned Income Tax Credit!

    27 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    If you work and have a lower income, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is for you. If you qualify, this credit could be worth up to $6,242 in 2015. This means you could pay less federal tax – or even better, you could get a refund. The credit is a refundable credit, so you can receive the benefits of the credit even if you do not owe any taxes. That’s money you can use to make a difference in your life.

    Even though this credit can be worth thousands of dollars to a low-income family, the IRS estimates as many as 25 percent of people who qualify for the credit do not claim it simply because they don’t understand the criteria.

    If you qualify for but failed to claim the credit on your return for 2012, 2013 and/or 2014, you can still claim it for those years by filing an amended return or an original return if you have not previously filed.

    The EITC is based on the amount of your earned income and whether there are qualifying children in your household. If you have children, they must meet relationship, age and residency requirements. Additionally, you must file a tax return to claim the credit. The EITC income qualifications are annually inflation adjusted. The qualifications shown below are for 2015. Please call for those that apply for prior years.

    If you were employed for at least part of 2015, you may be eligible for the EITC based on these general requirements:

    • You earned less than $14,820 ($20,330 if married filing jointly) and did not have any qualifying children.
    • You earned less than $39,131 ($44,651 if married filing jointly) and have one qualifying child.
    • You earned less than $44,454 ($49,974 if married filing jointly) and have two qualifying children.
    • You earned less than $47,747 ($53,267 if married filing jointly) and have more than two qualifying children.

    In addition you must meet a few basic rules:

    • You must have a valid Social Security Number.
    • You must have earned income from employment or from self-employment.
    • Your filing status cannot be married, filing separately.
    • You must have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year, or a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien and filing a joint return.
    • You cannot be a qualifying child of another person.
    • Your investment income for the year cannot exceed $3,400 (call for other years).
    • If you do not have a qualifying child, you must:
    • Be age 25 but under 65 at the end of the year,
    • Live in the United States for more than half the year, and
    • Not be a qualifying child of another person.
    • You cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (excluding foreign earned income)

    Members of the military can elect to include their nontaxable combat pay in earned income for the earned income credit. If that election is made, the military member must include in earned income all nontaxable combat pay received. If spouses are filing a joint return and both spouses received nontaxable combat pay, then each one can make a separate election.

    If you have questions about your qualifications for this credit or need help amending or filing a prior year return to claim the credit, please get in touch with us at Dagley & Co.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Living Abroad? Keep These Important Tax Deadlines In Mind

    24 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    military abroad

    There is a special tax deadline coming up for U.S. citizens or resident aliens living and working (or on military duty) outside the United States and Puerto Rico: June 15, 2015. This is the filing due date for your 2014 income tax return and to pay any tax due. If your return has not been completed and you need additional time to file your return, then you should file Form 4868 to obtain 4 additional months to file. Then, file Form 1040 by October 15, 2015. However, if you are a participant in a combat zone, you may be able to further extend the filing deadline, which we get into below.

    Caution: This is not an extension of time to pay your tax liability, only an extension to file the return. If you expect to owe, estimate how much and include your payment with the extension. If you owe taxes when you do file your extended tax return, you will be liable for both the late payment penalty and interest from the due date.

    Combat Zone – For military taxpayers in a combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area, the deadlines for taking actions with the IRS are extended. This also applies to service members involved in contingency operations, such as Operation Iraqi Freedom or Enduring Freedom. The extension is for 180 consecutive days after the later of:

    • The last day a military taxpayer was in a combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area or served in a qualifying contingency operation, or have qualifying service outside of the combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area (or the last day the area qualifies as a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area), or
    • The last day of any continuous qualified hospitalization for injury from service in the combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area or contingency operation, or while performing qualifying service outside of the combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area.

    In addition to the 180 days, the deadline is also extended by the number of days that were left for the individual to take an action with the IRS when they entered a combat zone/qualified hazardous duty area or began serving in a contingency operation.

    It is not a good idea to delay filing your return because you owe taxes. The late filing penalty is 5% per month (maximum 25%) and can be a substantial penalty. It is generally better practice to file the return without payment and avoid the late filing penalty. We can also establish an installment agreement that allows you to pay your taxes over a period of up to 72 months.

    Please contact Dagley & Co. for assistance with an extension request or an installment agreement.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • How to Use the Home Sale Gain Exclusion for More than Just Your Home

    18 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    One of the best tax breaks we have in the United States is the home-sale exclusion. With careful planning, and provided the rules are followed, the tax code allows the home sale gain exclusion every two years.

    Let’s assume you own a home, perhaps a second (vacation) home, or maybe are even thinking about buying a fixer-upper and flipping it. With careful planning, it is possible to apply the full home sale exclusion to all three of the properties.

    How it works: The tax code allows you to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for married couples) of gain from the sale of your primary residence if you have lived in it and owned it for two of the five years immediately preceding the sale, and you have not previously taken a home sale exclusion within the two years immediately preceding the sale. In addition, there is no limit on the number of times you can use the exclusion, as long as the requirements are met.

    It makes sense to start off by selling the home you currently live in because you probably already meet the two-out-of-five-years ownership and use tests. The next step, if you have a second home, would be to move into it and make it your primary residence. After you have lived there for two full years and it has been more than two years since the previous home was sold, you can sell the property and take the home sale exclusion again. If you are handy, and find the right property, the next possible step would be to purchase and occupy a fixer-upper while you make repairs and improvements in preparation for its eventual sale after the two-year ownership and occupancy rules have been met. When that time is up, you can sell the fixer-upper and take the third exclusion. This makes it possible for a married couple to exclude as much as $1,500,000 of home sale profit in just over four years if they follow the rules carefully and time the sales correctly.

    If you own a rental property, and you occupy the rental for two years prior to its sale, you will be able to exclude a portion of the gain for that property as well. Because so many rental owners were occupying their rentals before selling them and taking a home sale exclusion, Congress enacted a law barring the exclusion of gain attributable to rental periods after 2008. Thus, the home sale exclusion can only be used to exclude gain attributable to periods before 2009 and periods after 2008 in which the home was used as a primary residence.

    Example: You purchased and began renting a residence on July 1, 2005. On July 1, 2013, you occupied the property as your primary residence; and, on August 1, 2015, you sell the property for a gain of $230,000. You had owned the property for a total of 121 months, of which 67 were before 2009 or during which you occupied the property as your primary residence after 2008. Thus .5537 (67/121) of the gain is subject to the exclusion. As a result, $127,351 (.5537 x $230,000) of the gain qualifies for the exclusion.

    In the preceding example, had the gain exceeded the exclusion limits, $250,000 for single taxpayers and $500,000 married taxpayers, the exclusion would have been capped at the exclusion limits.

    There is one final issue to consider. If any of the residences were acquired though a tax-deferred (Sec 1031) exchange from another property, then the residence must be owned for a period of five years prior to its sale to qualify for the exclusion.

    Since some situations may differ, we highly recommend that you consult with us at Dagley & Co. prior to initiating this plan.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Home Mortgage Interest for Unmarried Couples

    15 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    It’s 2015, and it is becoming increasingly common for couples to live together and remain unmarried – which can lead to potential tax problems when they share the expenses of a home while only one of them is liable for the debt on that home.

    Home mortgage interest can generally be deducted only by a person who is legally obligated to pay the mortgage (in other words, a person who is named as an obligor on the mortgage document). However, there is an exception to the preceding general rule for interest paid on a real estate mortgage when a person is a legal or equitable owner of the real estate but is not directly liable for the debt.

    For example, if the one who is not liable on the mortgage makes the payment, that individual is not allowed to deduct the interest portion of the payment, nor is the other person, because he or she did not pay it. This can lead to some complications when one person in a couple earns significantly more income and would benefit tax-wise from an interest deduction, but the other person is the liable party on the loan. It is not uncommon for couples who both work to share mortgage payments in the mistaken belief that they can each deduct their share of the mortgage interest on their individual tax returns.

    Although state law governs what constitutes equitable ownership, equitable ownership can generally be established if both parties are on title to the property, even if only one is liable on the loan. The premise behind equitable ownership is that an individual is protecting his or her ownership in the home by making some or all of the mortgage payments.

    This position was upheld in a Tax Court decision when the court denied a taxpayer’s home mortgage interest deduction that she paid until she became co-owner of the property with her boyfriend and was legally obligated to make the mortgage payments.

    If you are in a similar situation and have questions related to sharing potentially tax-deductible expenses, please get in touch with Dagley & Co.

    Image via public domain


    Continue Reading
  • Safe-Harbor Home Office Deduction: Is It Better For You?

    11 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    home office

    Though many businesses require office space, millions more are operated out of an entrepreneur’s home – and this can lead to a tax deduction. Taxpayers can elect to take a simplified deduction for the business use of the taxpayer’s home.  The deduction is $5 per square foot, with a maximum square footage of 300.  Thus, the maximum deduction is $1,500 per year.  Here are the details of this simplified method:

    • Annual Election – A taxpayer may elect to take the safe-harbor method or the regular method on an annual basis.  Thus, a taxpayer may freely switch between the methods each year.  The election is made by choosing the method on a timely filed original return and is irrevocable for that year.
    • Depreciation – When the taxpayer elects the safe-harbor method, no depreciation deduction for the home is allowed, and the depreciation for the year is deemed to be zero.
    • Additional Office Expenses – Additional office expenses such as utilities, insurance, office maintenance, etc., are not allowed when the safe-harbor method is used.
    • Home Interest and Taxes – Prorated home interest and taxes are not allowed as an office expense when using the safe-harbor method.  Instead, 100% of the home interest and taxes are deductible as usual on Schedule A.
    • Deduction Limited by Business IncomeAs is the case with the regular method, under the safe-harbor method the home office deduction is limited by the business income.  For the safe harbor, the deduction cannot exceed the gross income derived from the qualified business use of the home for the taxable year reduced by the business deductions (deductions unrelated to the qualified business use of a home).  However, unlike the regular method, any amount in excess of this gross income limitation is disallowed and may not be carried over and claimed as a deduction in any other taxable year.
    • Home Office Carryover – This cannot be used in a year in which the safe-harbor method is used.  The carryover continues to future years and can only be used when the regular method is used.
    • Qualifications – A taxpayer must still meet the regular qualifications to use the safe-harbor method.
    • Reimbursed Employee – The safe-harbor method cannot be used by an employee who receives advances, allowances, or reimbursements for expenses related to qualified business use of his or her home under a reimbursement or other expense allowance arrangement with the employer.
    • Determining Square Footage – To determine the average square footage of the business, use these guidelines:
      • Square Feet Maximum – Never use more than 300 square feet for any month, even if the taxpayer has multiple businesses.  Where there are multiple businesses, use a reasonable method to allocate between businesses.
      • Determining Average Square Feet for the Year – Use zero for months when there was no business use or when the business was not for a full year.
      • 15-Day Minimum – Don’t count any month in which the business use is less than 15 days.

    As an example, a taxpayer begins using 400 square feet of her home for business on July 20, 2015, and continues using the space as a home office through the end of the year.  Her average monthly allowable square footage for 2015 is 125 square feet (300 x 5 months = 1500/12 = 125).           

    • Multiple Businesses – Where there are multiple businesses, only one method may be used for the year—either the regular or safe harbor.
    • Mixed-Use Property – A taxpayer who has a qualified business use of a home and a rental use for purposes of § 280A(c)(3) of the same home cannot use the safe-harbor method for the rental use.
    • Taxpayers Sharing a Home – Taxpayers sharing a home (for example, roommates or spouses, regardless of filing status), if otherwise eligible, may each use the safe-harbor method but not for a qualified business use of the same portion of the home.

    As an example, a husband and wife, if otherwise eligible and regardless of filing status, may each use the safe-harbor method for a qualified business use of the same home for up to 300 square feet of different portions of the home.          

    • Depreciation Rate When Switching Methods – When the safe-harbor method is used and the taxpayer subsequently switches back to the regular method, use the depreciation factor from the appropriate optional depreciation table as if the property had been depreciated all along.

    When choosing between the methods, the following factors should be considered:

    • There is no reduction in basis for depreciation or depreciation recapture when using the safe-harbor method.
    • When using the regular method, the income limitation takes into account home interest, taxes, and other expenses before allowing the depreciation portion of the deduction.  That is not true for the safe-harbor method as the interest, taxes, and other business-use-area expenses are not considered.

    If you have questions related to this simplified method of claiming a deduction for the business use of your home, please get in touch with Dagley & Co.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Tax Tips for Starting a New Business

    8 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    Have a great business idea? Congratulations! Now, do you know where to begin with the paperwork? First of all, anyone starting a new business should be aware of his or her federal tax responsibilities. Here are several things you should know if you plan to open a new business this year:

    1. First, you must decide what type of business entity you are going to establish. The type of business you open will determine which tax form has to be filed. The most common types of business are the sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, and S corporation.
    2. The type of business you operate will determine what taxes must be paid and how you pay them. The four general types of business tax are income tax, self-employment tax, employment tax, and sales or excise tax.
    3. An employer identification number is used to identify a business entity. Most businesses need an EIN, and your business will definitely need one if you hire employees, regardless of the type of business entity selected. Please call this office to determine whether your business needs an EIN and get assistance in obtaining one if it does.
    4. Good records will help ensure the successful operation of your new business. You may choose any record-keeping system suited to your business that clearly shows your income and expenses. Except in a few cases, the law does not require any special kinds of records. However, the business you are in will affect the types of records that will have to be kept for federal tax purposes. If you need assistance or guidance in setting up your business records, please give this office a call.
    5. Every business taxpayer must figure taxable income on an annual accounting period called a tax year. The calendar year and the fiscal year are the most common tax years used.
    6. Each taxpayer must also use a consistent accounting method, which is a set of rules for determining when to report income and expenses. The most commonly used accounting methods are the cash method and accrual method. Under the cash method, income is generally reported in the tax year it is received, and expenses are deducted in the tax year they are paid. Under an accrual method, income is generally reported in the tax year it was earned, if not yet received, and expenses are deducted in the tax year they are incurred, even though they are not yet paid.

    If you are thinking about starting a business or if you already have one, please get in touch with Dagley & Co. if you need assistance with your accounting, bookkeeping, payroll or sales tax reporting, or other federal or state compliance issues.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Read This Before Tossing Out Your Old Tax Records

    5 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post

    Now that your taxes are completed, you are probably wondering if your old tax records can be discarded, and when. If you are like most taxpayers, you have records from years ago that you are probably afraid to throw away.  So, it would be helpful to understand why the records must be kept in the first place, and what’s okay to toss as you break into your spring cleaning.

    Generally, we keep tax records for two basic reasons: (1) in case the IRS or a state agency decides to question the information reported on our tax returns, and (2) to keep track of the tax basis of our capital assets so that the tax liability can be minimized when we dispose of them.

    With certain exceptions, the statute for assessing additional taxes is three years from the return due date or the date the return was filed, whichever is later.  However, the statute of limitations for many states is one year longer than the federal law.  In addition to lengthened state statutes clouding the recordkeeping issue, the federal three-year assessment period is extended to six years if a taxpayer omits from gross income an amount that is more than 25 percent of the income reported on a tax return.  And, of course, the statutes don’t begin running until a return has been filed.  There is no limit where a taxpayer files a false or fraudulent return to evade taxes.

    If an exception does not apply to you, for federal purposes, most of your tax records that are more than three years old can probably be discarded; add a year or so to that if you live in a state with a longer statute.

    Examples – Ashley filed her 2011 tax return before the due date of April 15, 2012. She will be able to dispose of most of the 2011 records safely after April 15, 2015. On the other hand, Jon files his 2011 return on June 2, 2012. He needs to keep his records at least until June 2, 2015. In both cases, the taxpayers may opt to keep their records a year or two longer if their states have a statute of limitations longer than three years.  Note: If a due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, the due date becomes the next business day.

    The big problem!  The problem with the carte blanche discarding of records for a particular year because the statute of limitations has expired is that many taxpayers combine their normal tax records and the records needed to substantiate the basis of capital assets.  These need to be separated and the basis records should not be discarded before the statute expires for the year in which the asset is disposed.  Thus, it makes more sense to keep those records separated by asset.  The following are examples of records that fall into that category:

    • Stock acquisition data – If you own stock in a corporation, keep the purchase records for at least four years after the year the stock is sold.  This data will be needed to prove the amount of profit (or loss) you had on the sale.
    • Stock and mutual fund statements (If you reinvest dividends) – Many taxpayers use the dividends they receive from stocks or mutual funds to buy more shares of the same stock or fund.  The reinvested amounts add to the basis in the property and reduce gain when it is finally sold.  Keep statements at least four years after the final sale.
    • Tangible property purchase and improvement records – Keep records of home, investment, rental property, or business property acquisitions AND related capital improvements for at least four years after the underlying property is sold.

    For example, when the large $250,000 and $500,000 home exclusion was passed into law several years back, homeowners became lax in maintaining home improvement records, thinking the large exclusions would cover any potential appreciation in the home’s value.  Now that exclusion may not always be enough to cover sale gains, particularly in markets where property values have steadily risen, so records of home improvements are vital.  Records can be important, so please use caution when discarding them.

    What about the tax returns themselves? While disposing of the back-up documents used to prepare the returns can usually be done after the statutory period has expired, you may want to consider keeping a copy of your tax returns (the 1040 and attached schedules/statements plus your state return) indefinitely. If you just don’t have room to keep a copy of the paper returns, digitizing them is an option.

    If you have questions about whether or not to retain certain records, get in touch with us at Dagley & Co. first; it is better to make sure, before discarding something that might be needed down the road.

    Image via public domain

    Continue Reading
  • Tax Due Dates for Business and Individuals: May 2015

    1 May 2015
    Comments are off for this post
    May in DC

    It seems like just a few weeks ago, we were all scrambling to get our taxes into the IRS – because, well, we were. Now it’s May, and there are some new tax due dates to be aware of.

    May 2015 Individual Due Dates

    May 11 – Report Tips to Employer

    If you are an employee who works for tips and received more than $20 in tips during April, you are required to report them to your employer on IRS Form 4070 no later than May 11. Your employer is required to withhold FICA taxes and income tax withholding for these tips from your regular wages. If your regular wages are insufficient to cover the FICA and tax withholding, the employer will report the amount of the uncollected withholding in box 12 of your W-2 for the year. You will be required to pay the uncollected withholding when your return for the year is filed.

    May 2015 Business Due Dates

    May 11 – Social Security, Medicare and Withheld Income Tax

    File Form 941 for the first quarter of 2015. This due date applies only if you deposited the tax for the quarter in full and on time.

    May 15 – Employer’s Monthly Deposit Due

    If you are an employer and the monthly deposit rules apply, May 15 is the due date for you to make your deposit of Social Security, Medicare and withheld income tax for April 2015. This is also the due date for the non-payroll withholding deposit for April 2015 if the monthly deposit rule applies.

    Image (c) Dagley & Co.

    Continue Reading